The Way of Yo
Who We Are
We are a community of individuals brought together by our shared understanding of our present situation and a common vision for our future.
We have come to understand that we are evolved, divine, sentient creatures. We are astounded and delighted by the miracle of existence. We believe that life itself is sacred and that it is our duty to care for ourselves, those we love, humanity, living things, and to protect the biosphere upon which all life depends.
We believe that humanity is failing to live up to this sacred obligation. We find it self evident that our human institutions—including our governments, our religious organizations, our schools, and our corporations—are failing to meet our most vital, basic human needs.
The Problem Facing Us
In a thoroughly insane manner, our species is turning away from Reality. As a species, we are ineffectively addressing:
- unsustainable overpopulation,
- the destruction of the biosphere that is necessary for all life,
- the horrendous and increasingly skewed distribution of planetary resources (wealth),
- the real proliferation of genuine WMD's, and
- the unabated political power of delusional meme systems (fundamentalist religions).
The Solution: Our Goals
Because we are aware of the crises facing our species, we have realized the importance of uniting in pursuit of our goals:
- freedom from authoritarian control,
- ecological, sustainable living,
- the creation and maintenance of healthy, sane, caring communities,
- universal access to both birth control and the resources necessary for life itself, and
- worldwide peace and justice.
The Solution: Our Method
From examining human history, we realize that new human
possibilities keep arising. Our species has repeatedly achieved things that, earlier, would have been deemed impossible. While many of our most spectacular accomplishments have been horrendous, our method begins with an understanding that there are no known, established limits on what our species can do. The human story is still being written.
Furthermore, we realize that great human achievements are almost always the result of collective, coordinated action. Rarely, if ever, do great things—whether good or bad—occur unless people act as a group.
So, our method begins with an acknowledgment of the tremendous power of group action. It is clear to us that human history has largely been determined by such group action and that, today, humanity is still in the grip of organized groups, many of which are profoundly out of touch with reality. Realizing the dangers of mass action, we could avoid trying to join together. We know, however, that this would only allow the already organized and acting groups to continue to take humanity in the wrong direction.
Thus, we realize we must join together to act. And we realize that historically all human groups so joined in action have come together around a religious (or pseudo-religious) ideology. A shared religious belief system appears to be essential for coordinated human effort. Therefore, we must develop the first such shared, religious belief system:
- that is not deluded, i.e., that is fully in sync with Reality, and
- that allows for a healthy balance between the interests of the group and the integrity of individual aims, and
- that promotes our sacred goals.
This belief system is Yoism.
In short, we are uniting with a shared aim of fully facing Reality and working toward the creation today—not in an "afterlife," or at some point in an indefinite future—of Heaven on Earth. The foundation for our work is built upon the The Five Pillars, guiding landmarks along The Way of Yo.
We also know that we are not alone—there are many groups around the globe engaged in the struggle to find solutions to hard problems. As Yoans, we recognize that these scattered efforts must be brought together and organized if they are to be effective. Together, we can create a better world.
What is The Way of Yo?
The most comprehensive understanding of The Way of Yo can be found by exploring this web site and reading The Book of Yo, which is now available for online viewing. The various links to The Five Pillars, The Ten Sacred Principles, and The Open Source Truth Process provide access to key elements in The Book of Yo. Exploring these links can provide an introduction to some of the essential aspects of Yoism. For those who are not interested in "religion," these core elements (what we call the "5—10—Open—Heaven" core) also provide the basis for what has been called "The Way" of Yo (without Yo).
- The Five Pillars - The foundation for our work in the world.
- The Ten Sacred Principles - We take "as a given" the defining principles that underly the great American experiment with universal human rights and democracy. From that inspiring beginning, the Ten Principles present the core of the current Yoan consensus about what is needed now and for humanity's future. The Ten Principles are the basic foundation for peaceful living on a crowded, racially, religiously, and ethnically diverse planet with limited resources.
- The Open Source Truth Process - The innovative process born in the enlightenment and now being taken to new heights by unprecedented, technological advances in communication and collaboration. Using the Open Source Truth Process we determine the shared beliefs upon which we make decisions and take action as a community.
- The Main Beliefs - Fundamental Yoan beliefs and values that—following The Way of Yo—the community has come to adopt. The Open Source modification and development of these is expressed in the forever evolving Book of Yo.
- Inspirational Writings - Some of the writings by Yoans and by others that have inspired us and helped to form our vision.
- Open Source - The concept of open source development. Provides links to sites where one can explore the exploding open source movement, a movement that is beginning to transform the human relationship to work, to other people, and ownership of human creations.
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. Many of the core ideas that appear in the Book of Yo can be found in the answers to the FAQ.
- Note About The Pronoun: "yo" - You will notice many uses of the pronoun "yo." Read about what it means here.
- Name - The single word we would use to refer to the totality of the miracle of existence as well as individually to every sentient being in the universe. We invite you to add a syllable of your name to The Name.
For high res version with sound click here.